Saturday 8 November 2014

Chapter 18: Certain Love and Uncertain Goodbyes

Over the next few days, I felt exhausted, and overwhelmed with grief. After years of hearing about girls like Carmen, I had actually met her. The “problem” I had read about, watched documentaries about, prayed about, and heard testimonies about, had taken shape in a real fourteen year-old girl, right in front of me.

I had spent countless hours talking, walking, eating, and praying with her. I knew how the story should end, how I wanted it to end, how she had come to me saying she wanted it to end. When it didn't happen that way, it felt like the end. I was leaving, and Carmen was still on the streets.

But as my departure neared, God began to heal the pain of disappointment in my heart, and assure me that love is always worth it, even when we can’t see the outcome. He also reminded me that just because it was the end of my year in the Dominican Republic, did not mean it was the end of His work in Carmen.

“He is the source, not Abigail” I would tell Carmen from time to time. Now, God was showing that to me.

On December 17th, I brough Carmen and Andre breakfast one more time, in their tiny, lowered-roof, one-bedroom apartment without a bathroom or kitchen. I prayed one last time and hugged them goodbye.

“For 70 pesos,” I told her, “You know you can hop on a bus and get to the safe house, and you will be welcomed with open arms, right?”

“Right.”

“You know it’s before the only light in town, on the left side, right?”

“Right.”

“OK. Well, I don’t know if I’m coming back. But, I love you no matter what, and God loves you no matter what. I will always be praying for you.”

As I walked back to my apartment, my bags all packed for my departure for the United States, my heart was full of joy, just to have known them, in spite of all the tears I had shed. I hoped against hope, and felt deep inside, that Carmen and Ale would yet see the light, and escape the shadows.

I also felt sure that it wasn't my story, it was God’s story. I didn't control any of the twists and turns, I just got the chance to watch God be her Hero again and again, saving the day and wooing her to Him in spite of all her wanderings. Just like He does with me. 

An hour before my flight, outside of a duty-free shop in the Santo Domingo airport’s corridors, I said goodbye to the vice president of the ministry I worked for. Alexandra was a lovely, humble woman and a strong leader. We had shared some good conversations, but she was never my closest friend. Yet, for some reason, something inside of me broke. My throat started to close and my eyes started to water. It was my last goodbye, to a place full of people I had learned to love, on my knees and on my feet, through smiles and pain, questions and tears.

I swallowed my tears because I couldn't explain what I felt. Alex just hugged me briefly, looked at me and said, 

“You’ll come back.”

Then, we parted ways. 



I didn't tell anyone. I wanted to go back but I didn't want it to be my idea. I wanted it to be God’s idea, a quiet knowing birthed, not organized, into me—through the Holy Spirit. 

I remember when I left Spain, how I cried so hard on the bus and the plane, that I had to ask the flight attendant for some Tylenol to treat my self-induced headache. I felt I had to come back. But my friend Loida, who got up before dawn to say farewell, had told me that I wasn't coming back, not to Spain--that God had work for me elsewhere, and He would give me strength. When I had tried to go back to teach English in Spain, I couldn't get a visa--and then I got accepted to go to the Dominican Republic instead. 

I had tried not to hold on too tightly to anything after that, except to God. Yet, somehow, the Dominican people had knocked down my walls, and found their way into my heart.

Although happy to be home, I also felt spiritually exhausted, and couldn't see clearly which way I should go. To avoid doing nothing, I started applying for jobs at home.

I felt uncertain of everything, except of God.  I knew that every step of my life was ordered by God. If He wanted me back, and those weren't just Alexandra’s words, He would show me the way, and open the doors. If not, He would find another way to teach me to love and receive love, and another way go after Carmen and Andre’s hearts…

Para su gloria! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
May we never be too blind or busy to care for others, and may we never be too busy caring for others that we don't take the time to sit at the Master's feet and learn from Him. May we grow each day in intimacy with our Creator and Savior, and may His love grow in us as we learn to love Him more. Every good gift we enjoy comes from the all-wise God, who meets all our needs but not necessarily our wants. Knowing Christ is our ultimate aim. Everything else is loss.